Preventive care is the best way to keep you and your family healthy. At Diagnostic Clinic of Longview, we can develop a preventive health care plan that's right for you. Your physician can recommend preventive screenings and provide valuable information to help you make healthy lifestyle choices. Often, insurance plans cover preventive care services at no charge to you- even if you haven't met your yearly deductible.
Preventive care is critical to maintaining a healthy body. Annual routine physicals or screenings should include the following:
- Blood sugar screening
- Bone density screening
- Cholesterol screening
- Colorectal cancer screening
- pneumonia (at the appropriate age)
- others as recommended by CDC (Centers for Disease Control)
- Pap tests
- Prostate screenings
- Wellness visits for children, adolescents and adults
What can you do to help prevent illness?
You can stay healthy, live longer and delay or prevent many diseases by doing the following:
- Exercising - Participate in any physical activity you enjoy for 20 to 30 minutes, five or six days a week. Talk to your doctor about the right exercise program for you.
- Eating well - Eat a healthy diet of different foods, like fruits, vegetables, protein (such as meat, fish, or beans) and whole grains (such as brown rice). You should also limit the amount of saturated fat you eat.
- Keeping a healthy weight - Watch your portions, and try to balance the number of calories you eat with the number you burn by exercising.
- Not smoking - If you smoke, talk with your doctor about getting help to quit.
- Get preventive services - Delay or lessen the effects of diseases by getting preventive services (like screening tests) to find disease early, and shots to keep you from getting dangerous illnesses.